"Black" Text

Lionel Ulmer lionel.ulmer at free.fr
Sat Mar 26 10:24:46 CST 2005

> fixme:x11drv:X11DRV_desktop_SetCurrentMode Cannot change screen BPP from 32 to
> 8
> fixme:x11drv:X11DRV_desktop_SetCurrentMode Cannot change screen BPP from 32 to
> 8

Hmmmm, a DDraw game that displays only black text in 8 BPP mode.... That
looks suspiciously like the problem we have in AoE.

Could you do a +ddraw trace and see if it uses GetDIB DDraw calls. If yes,
it may be the same issue.

Basically what I found out debugging AoE was that the game created a
paletted surface without a palette attached, drew to it using the GetDIB
calls and then standard ExtTextOut calls.

Apparently, it was as if Windows has a default palette when doing this
code-path. Wanted to test it in 'real' Windows but never had the time.

             Lionel (still in catch-up mode for old emails :-) )

--
		 Lionel Ulmer - http://www.bbrox.org/