Make test status - latest CVS

Shachar Shemesh wine-devel at shemesh.biz
Sun May 1 03:16:18 CDT 2005

The thing to understand is that any failure of "make test" due to either
default configuration or a bug in anything other than wine is a failure
of the test system. If "make test" passed, and Alexandre committed a
patch, then this patch MUST pass on all machines. If that's not the
case, then people will (and do) not use the test infrastructure, and
more tests fail. That's not good!

As such, I think you should fix your test to not fail (or mark it as a
test wine does not pass). If you have different behaviors whether the
driver bug exists or not on my system, split the test into two parts.
This way, you can have one test that passes on wine whether or not the
driver is broken (i.e. - if the bug in wine comes up, ignore it). The
second test is one that fails if the bug in the driver doesn't come up,
and if the bug in the driver does come up, fails if wine handles it
differently from Windows. Mark this test as "fails on wine" until you
fix it.

This way, the tests won't fail on my machine, regardless of how it is
set up. Like I said, getting the tests to pass on all wine hackers
machines is crucial to build confidence with the tests, thus allowing
people to run the tests prior to sending patches.

If you are in Stuttgart, feel free to grab me and talk about it.

             Shachar

--
Shachar Shemesh
Lingnu Open Source Consulting ltd.