Steam Problems

Ivan Gyurdiev ivg2 at cornell.edu
Mon May 2 13:48:58 CDT 2005

On Mon, 2005-05-02 at 14:57 +0000, Stefan Dösinger wrote:
> > 1) It's always on top of all other windows,on all
> > workspaces of GNOME, which is very annoying, and makes
> > it impossible to try HL2. If clicked while HL2 is on startup
> > screen it will crash the game.
> I've sent a patch to wine-patches some time ago, but it wasn't accepted
> because it's wrong. The link is
> http://www.winehq.org/hypermail/wine-patches/2005/03/0504.html
>
> You may try it, it fixes Steam in this aspect, but it may break other apps.

Ok, perhaps I'll give it a try... why not fix the patch?

> > 2) If you click on any game, go to Update News, it will crash
> > every time. If there are Update News when Steam is started, it
> > will crash (but it will work after that). Here's the output, although it
> > doesn't look very helpful to me:
> Do you have IE6 installed. Do you use the native shdocvw, mshtml and shlwapi
> dlls? What winver have you set?

No, this is pure wine installation, without a single windows dll.
I don't have IE6. winver is whatever is the default (win98?)

> I don't have Steam installed right now, but I know that those things are
> fragile. I've set the above dlls to native, winver = winxp. This way no
> things are shown, but Steam doesn't crash.

Well, I think it's easier if I just don't click on Update News :)
I just wanted to report the problem so it can be fixed. I can help
debug.

>  It's possible to get this thing to
> work somehow, (winver = win98, native dlls and a correct ie6 installation,
> native dcom I think and a few other native dlls), but as I said, it's
> fragile.

I don't have windows - I wouldn't consider this getting it to work...

> > ALSA lib control.c:739:(snd_ctl_open_noupdate) Invalid CTL plug:hw:0
> Half-life and friends are broken for me with the alsa driver.

I get sound with the alsa driver in Warcraft III, Frozen Throne, Diablo,
 and Half Life 2... it just spits out those errors for some reason.

--
Ivan Gyurdiev <ivg2 at cornell.edu>
Cornell University