Commercial support

Andreas Mohr andi at rhlx01.fht-esslingen.de
Tue May 3 06:33:54 CDT 2005

Hi,

On Tue, May 03, 2005 at 01:50:20PM +0300, MediaHost (TM) wrote:
> I think support has nothing to do with submitting patches.....but with
> giving support, if we are at it.....
I have to disagree rather strongly. While Wine might get to a state
where many people are going to use it and mere enduser support is needed,
thus alleviating the need for patching knowledge at support companies,
we want companies who CARE about good support and thus KNOW Wine in and out.
Or at least they should know as much as being able to contribute some useful
patches.

IMHO writing some first Wine patches is not a skill issue, it's a time issue.
If you're not a programmer, you are still able to spend a lot of time using
and getting to know Wine, and once you've done that, writing a couple of
(even simple) patches for the Wine environment will be quite easy.
Bingo! You've got the entry ticket to publicly listed Wine support...

> But I prefer to not have any such list at all, something needing support
> for wine will find it....
Again rather strong disagreement.
As discussed on wineconf2005, wine has a severe market acceptance/perception
issue, thus having strong support options seems to be quite important.

While a ranked list might not be the best way to represent support options,
I think it allows companies such as Codeweavers which are obviously
much more involved with Wine to properly represent their Wine knowledge
level.
Thus I'd be in favour of *something* like such a list.

Andreas Mohr