Commercial support

Andrew Bartlett abartlet at samba.org
Tue May 3 08:31:39 CDT 2005

On Tue, 2005-05-03 at 09:02 -0400, Dimitrie O. Paun wrote:
> On Tue, May 03, 2005 at 11:33:36AM +0200, David Gümbel wrote:
> > So I'd suggest listing anyone who can prove he has contributed to Wine in
> > whatever way - making a donation, having contributed code, whatever - , and
> > let the customers decide whom to select for their particular problem.
>
> Yes, I think being inclusive is better.
>
> However, I also think that we need to pick the rules carefully so we don't
> set up a bad precedent when half the world will be using Wine :). So here
> is what I propose:
>   1. The list should be capped to n entries (n=50, 100?)
>   2. It should be kept up to date, and refreshed at least yearly
>   3. Any list has an order by definition, this one should be
>      ranked by how much each company benefits the project.
>
> Notes:
>   - Rule (1) doesn't mean much now, but it may in the future
>     if we get flooded with requests for listing
>   - Rule (2) seems everyone agrees with. I suggest a token
>     monetary fee that should go towards hosting the WineHQ site.

I would advise strongly against setting up an implied contract for
advertising, by accepting money.  I strongly suggest a 'these people
claim they can help with Wine' list, unsorted (except by locality or
name), and certainly without a 'vote' system.

Folks who are incompetent will soon show this to their clients in their
own time, why should Wine mailing list be making a statements about
companies to which most will not have had contact as a customer.

Samba has a large support directory, and as has been commented it is
probably also easier to support.  I suggest dealing with the 'thundering
hoards' question if you really get them.

Andrew Bartlett