Commercial support

Tom Wickline twickline at gmail.com
Wed May 4 09:23:40 CDT 2005

On 5/4/05, Dimitrie O. Paun <dpaun at rogers.com> wrote:
> On Wed, May 04, 2005 at 07:33:53AM -0400, Tom Wickline wrote:
> > 1) a token monetary fee of around $10,000 per year.
>
> I was thinking more like $100, to help out CW with hosting.
> At 10K most companies will shy away, and we don't want that.
> We want more people there, not fewer.

I'm only trying to weed out the rif-raf and $100.00 can be had by
almost anyone on this planet. Is the hosting cost open? If helping
with hosting is the primary reason for the money we should first find
the total cost and then go from there?

> This is not money for advertising. We can drop it altogether
> AFAIAC, I don't think it's important. On the other hand, if
> CW want a bit of help with the server, I think it's fair that
> we all chip in.

As I see it its far better than advertising its winehq.org signing off
on these future listings. And if a fly-by-night company comes by and
gives a few pence and gets a listing and then directs there customers
to there listing as being a creditable identity. Winehq.org is at
stake of getting a nice shiner (black-eye) if they turn out to be a
unrespectful company. So the question is what is this projects
reputation / name really worth ??? when you find the sum put that as
the listing fee.....

I'm in no way saying that anyone in this discussion is unrespectful!
I'm just saying that these people do exist and are out there and we
should think about that now rather than later .... not when its too
late.....

Tom