unix filenames in notepad

Francois Gouget fgouget at free.fr
Thu May 5 04:42:50 CDT 2005

On Thu, 5 May 2005, James Hawkins wrote:
[...]
> You can't type in a unix file path in
> windows, so I don't see why we should allow it in wine.  That is what
> the virtual drives are for.

I believe the rationale is to provide a better integration with the Unix
environment. Here's the scenario where I see this used.

Some ISV, e.g. Borland, ports their popular application, e.g. Kylix, to
Linux using Wine and/or Winelib. With Wine as it stands, their 'Unix'
application still display Windows paths in the File Open dialogs, thus
causing an outcry from Unix users that they don't want to have to deal
with Windows drives, that it's not a real port, that ports done with
Wine suck, etc.

This is where this extension intervenes: it lets the application ask for
a Unix File Open dialog, thus giving a more native look to the
application. Note that it's quite possible the application will turn
around and immediately convert the path back to a Windows path using the
APIs you mentioned and a, now hidden, Z: drive. But, if done well,
that's none of the user's concern, all that counts here is what the user
sees in the File Open dialog.

                      Avoid the Gates of Hell - use Linux.