unix filenames in notepad

Troy Rollo wine at troy.rollo.name
Thu May 5 17:54:46 CDT 2005

On Thu, 5 May 2005 19:42, Francois Gouget wrote:
> I believe the rationale is to provide a better integration with the Unix
> environment....> Some ISV, e.g. Borland, ports their popular
> application, e.g. Kylix, to
> Linux using Wine and/or Winelib. With Wine as it stands, their 'Unix'
> application still display Windows paths in the File Open dialogs, thus
> causing an outcry from Unix users that they don't want to have to deal
> with Windows drives, that it's not a real port, that ports done with
> Wine suck, etc.

Precisely. WINE is not just for running apps compiled for Windows - it's also
for making the Windows API available under UNIX. For this second application,
users need to (at a minimum) be seeing UNIX paths (and not Windows paths at
all) in the dialog. It is also reasonable in this context for the application
to expect to use APIs with UNIX paths without having to convert them.

I'm leaning toward the separate entry point solution (the various approaches
were canvassed here a couple of weeks ago) since it avoids problems with
Microsoft adding new flags of their own later that use the same values as
WINE specific flags.