Winelib's role in converting Windows applications

Michael Stefaniuc mstefani at redhat.com
Fri May 6 03:40:53 CDT 2005

Ira Krakow wrote:
> As many of you know, Brian and I are writing a book on
> Wine and Winelib for Prentice Hall.  Brian's doing the
> Wine part; I'm doing the Winelib part.
>
> At Wineconf, I had a number of conversations about
> Winelib's role in converting Windows apps.  The
> consensus seems to be that the most efficient
> conversion path is for much of the Windows app to stay
> in Visual C++ (or whatever) and that only the modules
> that specifically require native Linux calls should be
> recompiled, via MinGW/Dev-C++ on the Windows side, and
> Winemaker on the Linux side, into Winelib objects.
This is true, the only good reason to still recompile everything as
Winelib stuff is if you need to run your programs on an other CPU
architecture like PPC or SPARC. But for that you need to have the whole
source for your application because binary DLLs wont work.

bye
	michael
Sr. Network Engineer            Fax.: +49-711-96437-111
Red Hat GmbH                    Email: mstefani at redhat.com
Hauptstaetterstr. 58            http://www.redhat.de/
D-70178 Stuttgart