WineConf todo list

Francois Gouget fgouget at free.fr
Fri May 6 20:23:35 CDT 2005

I'm trying to gather a list of stuff we said needed to be done at
WineConf. Of course the initial list is going to be horribly incomplete
but I'm sure others will contribute the missing pieces.

  * Wine Wiki
    This seems to be done already. It's available there:
    http://wiki.winehq.org/

  * Add a list of companies providing Wine services and support
    This discussion/flameware is in full swing.

  * Putting the videos online
    Done.
    Maybe some retouching / cleanup to do if we find someone
knowledgeable and willing.

  * Moving the Wine doc to SourceForge
    The documentation, i.e. the SGML files in documentation/, uses
completely different tools from the rest of Wine. Also Alexandre does
not want to deal with its translations. So move the SGML documentation
to its own CVS repository, winedoc, which we could host on SourceForge.
The English version would go in the en subdirectory so we can easily add
translations.

  * Check in the French translation and corresponding infrastructure. The
translation will go in the fr subdirectory of the winedoc CVS
repository. At the same time the infrastructure for adding other
translations should be put in place.

  * Make an easy to use cxtest script.
    The idea is to have a script which could be put in a crontab so it
can be run entirely automatically and which would:
    - checkout / update and recompile CXTest
    - checkout / update and recompile the latest Wine
    - run regression tests using Wine's Winelib applications
    - maybe download some free applications and run tests to make sure
they install and start up
    Jozef Stefanka is planning to work on this.

  * Get rid of the configuration file
    Well that's the 0.9 todo list. Maybe it's best to keep it separate
from this list.

  * Find a way to document the registry
    I had a discussion with Alexandre and lamented that, now that we're
going to move things out of the configuration, we won't be able to put
comments describing what each setting does. However we already have the
problem with all of the Windows settings. Furthermore he noted that it's
hard to find where a given setting is used in the Wine code (because the
registry path is encoded as a Unicode string?). And the problem is
compounded by the lack of proper documentation for registry settings in
MSDN.
    So the idea is to create a way to document each registry setting in
the source code so it can be extracted with a tool similar to c2man.pl
(or with a hacked c2man.pl).

                      Avoid the Gates of Hell - use Linux.