Commercial support

David Gümbel david.guembel at gmx.de
Sat May 7 06:16:26 CDT 2005

On Samstag 07 Mai 2005 08:39, Shachar Shemesh wrote:
> I really suggest we adhere to KISS - Keep It Simple. I actually liked
> the "hackers rating" idea. If a company is well known among the wine
> hackers, they'll vote for it. If not, list it alphabetically at the end
> of the former list.

While I certainly don't think that's a bad idea, I am still a bit concerned
that this puts too much emphasis on code contributions alone, while the
bunch of other stuff that seems also very important to me (docs, training,
helping out users, whatever) might get a bit forgotten. However, that's
certainly a question of how the "hackers' rating" would be implemented, not
a conceptual problem.

> As I said before, the token cost was meant mostly to
> make sure that the company is still alive, but as Andrew said, sending
> an email once a year to make sure someone responds also works, and does
> not get anyone in trouble with any tax authority.

Yep, I do think that should suffice.

> Having said all of that, I think I'll actually go with Brian's idea. Let
> him phrase the criteria. Unlike me, he does not have a commercial
> interest in Wine.

I'd be much in favor of that, too.

Cheers,

David