Stack size allocations

Alexandre Julliard julliard at
Sat May 7 07:06:57 CDT 2005

Robert Lunnon <bobl at> writes:

> The first patch addresses a problem I have found where Windows applications
> under wine exceed the allocated stack. By default wine allocates the same 1MB
> stack that windows does but wine has  a different stack consumption that does
> windows, adding the wine translation layers, possibly OGL then X calls on top
> of this.

Actually Wine stack usage should be very similar to Windows. The real
problem is that Xlib seems to allocate large amount of stack space in
some cases; I believe this has improved lately, since it's obviously
also a problem for threaded Unix apps, and we haven't had reports of
stack overflows on Linux for a long time. What you probably want to do
is just unconditionally add some more space on Solaris until the X
libraries are fixed.

Alexandre Julliard
julliard at