Game sound problem with wine 20050310 (Debian testing)

Paul van Schayck polleke at gmail.com
Sat May 7 08:54:41 CDT 2005

On 5/7/05, J. Grant <jg at jguk.org> wrote:
> I did find "man wine.conf", however that is quite incomplete it seems.

Incomplete and not to be trusted on accurate information.

> I wonder if this could be added to the man page?  Also could
> /usr/share/wine/skel/config be added to the man page?

No, we are dropping the config file completely. And as heads up, there
will be no conversion tool to the new system. As Alexandre said: "we
should stop being nice [in this conversion period]".

The config will be moved to the registry and winecfg.

> I remember there used to be a --winver=win2k style command line
> argument, but it seems to have gone now.  Or is it still present, but
> undocumented? (Or maybe I missed some documentation?)

That option was dropped a bit over a year ago.

> I did find a copy of the wine.conf man page on the website as well,
> could that copy of the man page be expanded to cover all the options please?

There is no list of options in the first place right now. With the
system we will be looking into creating a tool that will grab all
options from the source code so we can keep the list up to date.

> I could not find [wineoss] section documentation in any of the locations
> I am aware of. I just set it to "1" but it did not seem to make any
> difference to the audio lag unfortunately.

Both the [wineoss] and [winealsa] options have never been documented.
The normal behaviour though with a lack of performance and dsound is
not lag but cliping sound. So I don't think it's a performance issue.

> I do get far more network lag than I did when running Call of Duty on
> win2k. Could this be caused by the sound lag?  Is network lag a second
> issue with is sometimes common?

Set the [winmm] "drivers" option to nothing. You won't get any sound
at all. Is the lag now less?

Paul