Revisiting exceptions

Gregory M. Turner gmturner007 at ameritech.net
Mon May 9 08:34:30 CDT 2005

On Monday 09 May 2005 10:00, Boaz Harrosh wrote:
> >"Jonathan Wilson" <jonwil at tpgi.com.au> wrote:
> >>Why doesnt someone just implement the microsoft SEH keywords and
> >> extentions into GCC like it should be?
>
> Do you have any knowledge of GCC, to be able to do it, or help me do it?

The code exists to do it, or used to, but there are technical and
institutional barriers to inclusion in mainline gcc.

> Dmitry Timoshkov wrote:
> >Because it's patented by Borland?
>
> Do you have any reference to the patent? It looks to me like it is easy
> to by-pass by using different key words and than the user can Just
> define them to the MS ones.

US Patent #5,628,016, Kukol, May 6, 1997.  And you can't patent a name, so
changing names won't help.

But you can patent wiping your ass after defecating.  Which is basically what
Borland has done here.

--
gmt