Bug 2931 (again)

Francois Gouget fgouget at free.fr
Thu May 12 16:55:09 CDT 2005

On Thu, 12 May 2005, Mike Hearn wrote:

> On Wed, 11 May 2005 21:11:40 -0500, Dustin Navea wrote:
>> I was wondering if there was a better way to post them?  Ill keep that
>> in mind from now on.
> Well, I'm a bit dubious as to the value of posting bugs here anyway, we
> have wine-bugs for that. If it really does motivate people to work on them
> though then I guess it'd be OK.

I think if the bugs have been well diagnosed, which appears to be the
case here, it can be useful to bring them to the attention of the
developers: we all know that Wine developers tend to know about enough
bugs already that they don't really scrub Bugzila trying to find one

But some more information directly in the email could be useful. I was
not necessarily thinking about the last comment or the subject line but

  * a more catchy subject than 'bug 2931'
    (which is not to say that the bug number should not be mention in the
  * small description of the bug
    (so that readers at least know if it's a DirectX issue or an ntdll
one, a developer working on the former would probably not be interested
in bugs related to the latter)
  * which application is affected
  * URL to the bug
  * changelog of the patch that was identified as causing the regression
  * quick analysis of the problem (if possible)

With that information a developper reading only the email will know
whether it's worth digging deeper and actually looking at the bug report
and patch.

Also I think it's good that someone checks and cleans up Bugzilla.
Dustin, keep up the good work.

           tcA thgirypoC muinelliM latigiD eht detaloiv tsuj evah uoY