Software patents

Felix Nawothnig felix.nawothnig at t-online.de
Thu May 12 20:00:37 CDT 2005

Jonathan Wilson wrote:
> Its highly likely that GCC and WINE are already infringing on some
> software patent somewhere (since its well nigh impossible not to in the
> current "patent everything you can" climate inside a number of big
> companies)
>
> What makes this particular borland patent any different?

My guess: many projects have a "don't tell us about patents, we don't
wanna know"-policy to plead ignorance in case they get sued (would this
work anyway?) - this one is known (now).

Did people actually try to get the code into gcc (without saying
"unfortunatly this patch infrings on patent #XXX") before?

-flexo