console behaviour of tty vs. x11 driver

Kuba Ober kuba at mareimbrium.org
Thu May 19 12:28:58 CDT 2005

Hi,
I'm running vc.net as a cross-compiler under wine. Everything looks very nice
when you run it with X server running. Yet, when there's no X present,
winetty driver kicks in and corrupts the console output. Is there a simple
remedy? Here are the problems that I observe:

1. Pointless Xlib error message about it not being able to connect to the X
server -- this wastes 2 lines of screen real estate and the apps in question
are console-only *anyway*
It'd be nice to have an environment variable or a registry setting to disable
showing of this message.

2. Winetty seems to use ncurses for simple line-oriented output where winex11
did the right thing and didn't wrap the output with escape sequences in such
a weird way

3. Winetty clears the screen upon startup (due to ncurses maybe), so e.g.
running things from nmake.exe makes the screen get wiped everytime a
compile/link step is invoked.

This has a nasty side effect: with winetty driver a simple
wine foo.exe > log
gives you corrupt output with escape sequences that weren't reallyoutput by
foo.exe , whereas with winex11
wine foo.exe > log
gives you the *correct* output capture.

I will file a bug for it if it's not just something weird on my side.

Kuba