Detecting ulimit problem

Eric Frias efrias at syncad.com
Fri May 20 13:40:51 CDT 2005

Mike Hearn wrote:
> On Thu, 19 May 2005 17:46:28 -0400, Eric Frias wrote:
>>I'll get a patch ready once I understand a bit more of what is going on
>>that is causing wine to reserve this memory.
> It's probably blocking off the top 3rd quarter of the address space to
> prevent the kernel allocating memory above the 2gig boundary (this can
> break some Windows programs).

Thanks for the explanation.  I just read over that section in the
developer's guide, and it's starting to make sense.  Sounds like it
won't be straightforward to figure out *exactly* how much memory wine is
going to require, because it should amount to roughly:

    whatever the preloader reserves in the low addresses
  + the size of native linux libraries not mapped in the 3rd gig
  + heap used by native libraries (?)
  + 1G to block off that 3rd quarter

So the requirements of 1300 megabytes I was seeing dosn't seem that
unrealistic.  I couldn't tell from the docs, but it sounds likely that
wine would also reserve the 4th quarter of the address space if the 4G
VM split patch was in effect, so wine would actually need around 2300
megabytes of address space on those systems.

Eric