WineHQ css; binfmt && Mono && wine

Mike Hearn mh at codeweavers.com
Sat May 21 06:18:43 CDT 2005

On Sat, 21 May 2005 07:07:53 -0400, Dimi Paun wrote:
> On Sat, 2005-05-21 at 00:43 +0900, Mike McCormack wrote:
> > IMO, the right way to make it work is to enable closer integration of
> > the two projects.  We tried Mono using Wine, and that failed, but Wine
> > has so far not tried using Mono.
>
> That's a big failure on our part (as well as theirs). Doing it the other
> way around is not scalable, there are many projects that can potentially
> use Wine. We need to fix this properly.

Wine using Mono could work, but I'm not sure people really want to have
both installed (and we don't want Wine and Mono fighting over EXE file
associations!).

The simplest solution is just to pull Debians helper thingy upstream and
recommend packagers depend on that in their packages, IMHO. Wine may need
to use Mono at some point but it's been years and not many apps have a
heavy .NET dependency yet.

thanks -mike