Write problem with MS Office 2003

Michael Jung mjung at iss.tu-darmstadt.de
Tue May 24 14:27:26 CDT 2005

On Tuesday 24 May 2005 22:45, Stefan Dösinger wrote:
> On an write-protected
> folder, this check still succeeds(the read-only flag is removed).

This is from ntdll/directory, line 792:

if (!(st.st_mode & (S_IWUSR | S_IWGRP | S_IWOTH)))
    info->FileAttributes |= FILE_ATTRIBUTE_READONLY;

So the readonly flag is set only if nobody (not even the file owner or members
of the file owner's group) have read privileges.

So it's not a problem in the shell folders, it's a problem in ntdll. I wonder
if this is correctly implemented. Should'nt we check if the current user has
read privileges? Or is this the behaviour that windows shows on an ntfs

Michael Jung
mjung at iss.tu-darmstadt.de