Wine on Sparc

Chuck Hall chall at bcrl.stcloudstate.edu
Tue May 24 15:19:18 CDT 2005

On Mon, 23 May 2005, Eric Frias wrote:

> Chuck Hall wrote:
> > I should have mentioned what tools I'm using and the why I sent the patch.
> > I am using the native Sun assembler and linker.  The Sun assembler does
> > not understand the .previous so that is the reason for the patch.
>
> Makes sense.  If you get the Sun assembler to work, we should probably
> make an autoconf test to check which assembler gcc is using.  Heck, if
> you find that Sun's assembler doesn't work, it would be nice to have an
> autoconf check to put up an error.  I don't know of a good way to do
> this check (aside from testing whether it understands .previous).

Guess that means I need to learn autoconf and related stuff.

> > Using the binutils from www.blastwave.org I managed to get only the first
> > 5 files of 'make depend' to compile before it had problems with assembler.
> > Seems to be easier to use the native version.
>
> Wine's README says:
> ===
> Solaris info:
>    You will most likely need to build Wine with the GNU toolchain
>    (gcc, gas, etc.). Warning : installing gas does *not* ensure that it
>    will be used by gcc. Recompiling gcc after installing gas or
>    symlinking cc, as and ld to the gnu tools is said to be necessary.
> ===
> If you want to compile with the native assembler, you may be in
> uncharted territory.  I've had success with the combination of
> binutils-2.14 and gcc-3.4.2.

When was the last time the Wine README was updated?  Using the GNU
toolchain I get a few more warning messages during 'make depend' but it
does work.  Gcc, gas, and gld need to be from the GNU toolchain, the rest
seems to work as Solaris native.

You mentioned that you had patches for Wine on SPARC, would you mind
sharing them or should I do a google search for them?

--
Have Fun!
Chuck Hall