Translate the WineFAQ to French (gettext)

Dimi Paun dimi at
Wed May 25 06:37:15 CDT 2005

On Wed, 2005-05-25 at 12:36 +0200, Francois Gouget wrote:
> Maybe you were referring to CPAN which is a perl-specific alternate
> solution to packages. In that case I agree, I don't like it either and
> just don't use it.

Yes, I was referring to CPAN.

> However the RedHat / Fedora Core package manager was awfully
> inadequate, offering no search functionality at all (<flame>they
> probably think the dumbed-down categories remove the need for
> it</flame>).

The package manager does not do that. Did you try
Also, the packages should be available via yum (most likely at

> In fact I did not find *any* perl package listed
> in RedHat's package manager!

And herein lies the problem: hate it or love it, it's the most
used distribution, and it should work on it first and foremost.
If it doesn't, we have a problem.

On a slightly different note, I think you are comparing apples
to oranges: you want rpm to provide search equivalent to what
an indexing site does for Debian. It shouldn't and there are
such sites out there.

Dimi Paun <dimi at>
Lattica, Inc.