Serious Legal question - TLB(S)

Boaz Harrosh boaz at hishome.net
Wed May 25 12:25:48 CDT 2005

Lets say I have an open source tool that I can compile with MinGW. That
can open a COM DLL extract it's TLB and make an .IDL file out of it.
Very similar to #import in msvc++ but to .IDL instead of a .H

Let's say I use this tool on a component of a Commercial program Like
for example Norton Anti Virus. Or any other product and/or component.
Let's say I am a legal user of this component.

Now what am I allowed to do with this .idl file: (??)

1. Nothing I must delete it and never do that again.

2. Use this idl to make a program that can interface that component, and
I can also distribute such a program, as long as the user has a legal
copy for that component.

3. I can use this idl to make my own implementation of that component.
As long as I do not violate any patents on the way. And I can distribute
that alternative implementation of that component.

4. I can Publish the component form 2 including the idl with an OSS
compatible License.

5. I can Publish the component form 3 including the idl with an OSS
compatible License

What do you guys think. A TLB in a DLL is that making things public?

Does any one know if this is at all addressed in EULA(s)? What does the
law say if nothing is mentioned? what is the default? can I go up to a
car Extract from the manual the size of the wheels and use third party
wheels in it stead? Can I make My own cars that use the same wheels?

Free Life
Boaz