Wine on Solaris?

Alexandre Julliard julliard at winehq.org
Tue Nov 1 15:17:28 CST 2005

Robert Lunnon <bobl at optushome.com.au> writes:

> I'd disagree, if there was an issue with linux that required an "Ugly hack or
> workaround" to make it work then it would get in.  A great example is the
> current ugly workaround for ensuring memory is allocated below 0x80000000. I
> contend that  ugly hacks for core functionality under Linux are allowed that
> are not allowed for other OSes

That's certainly not true. For instance we have the mmap_fixed hack
for Solaris and BSD, that is surely a lot uglier than the Linux memory
reservation thing, yet it got in.

Yes, sometimes there is no choice but to do things the ugly way, and
in that case ugly stuff can get in. All you need to do is to convince
me that there is no better solution. Whether it's on Solaris or Linux
doesn't make any difference; there are tons of ugly hacks that have
been rejected on Linux too.

--
Alexandre Julliard
julliard at winehq.org