wine for two, please.

wino at piments.com wino at piments.com
Tue Nov 1 16:55:42 CST 2005

On Tue, 01 Nov 2005 21:54:51 +0100, Marcus Meissner
<marcus at jet.franken.de> wrote:

>> My goal is getting NatSpeak dictated text messages freed from the
>> confines
>> of the wine instance of the app. This would seem to be one approach if
>> wine can run more than one process at a time.
>
> Running two "wine foo.exe" will act as if on the same machine, including
> interchange of windows messages if the apps do that.
>
> Ciao, Marcus

Many thanks, that is indeed what happens.

And the best part: Dragon can actually type into editboxes on a
concurrently running app!

None of the voice control stuff works, even internally, so I may get to
looking into that mechanism later to see if it can be made to work. (eg
"click file" should bring down the file menu) Indeed this seems to upset
the dictation function and leaves it in an inconclusive state . Playing
back some text seems to clear it tho'.

fixme:menu:GetSystemMenu not supported on other process window 0x1401f2
fixme:imm:ImmGetDefaultIMEWnd (0x1401f2 - 0x501f0 0x784c89d8 ): semi-stub
fixme:imm:ImmGetDefaultIMEWnd (0x1401f2 - 0x501f0 0x784c89d8 ): semi-stub

This does not look too far from working either.

Now the big one here is to get this output sent to Linux programs. I have
been considering different routes to this end.

1/ Using winedebug  or spy output piped through grep then somehow
injecting it into various X programs.

2/ Patching something into wine or better hooking into and existing
mechanism  that could send the output to the X window with the input focus.

3/ Using wininet to open a link to a bespoke client on 127.0.0.1 that
could redirect the output in X.

As you can see are barely thought out ideas just to map possible ways to
explore.

Any comments on the merit of any of these approaches?

TIA