DirectSound, new patch available for testing

Juergen Wieczorek juergenw_ at web.de
Wed Nov 2 19:18:30 CST 2005

Dear Davin,

in the past days I have been testing your 'old' patch with wine-0.9 on
my Fedora Core 3 system (kernel-2.6.12-.1381_FC3, alsa-lib-1.0.6-8.FC3,
Soundblaster Live PCI = emu10k1), using Diablo2-LoD (patch 1.11b -
3DSound = no)

Now I have also tried your new patch.

Outcome in short : sound output got worse for me with the new patch.

Outcome in detail (for ALSA):

A)Old patch - DirectSound settings:

1)EmulDriver=N, HardwareAcceleration=Emulation
Blizzard Intro = flawless
Game Intro = flawless
Game Sound = altogether fluently, some sounds start to miss when in
thick melee

2)EmulDriver=N, HardwareAcceleration=Basic/Standard/Full
Blizzard Intro = completely jarred
Game Intro = with jerks
Game Sound = jarred and jerky with large sound holes(dead sound)

B)New patch - DirectSound settings:

1)EmulDriver=N, HardwareAcceleration=Emulation
Blizzard Intro = flawless
Game Intro = flawless
Game Sound = persistent audible crackling

2)EmulDriver=N, HardwareAcceleration=Basic/Standard/Full
Blizzard Intro = some audible jerks
Game Intro = flawless
Game Sound = persistent audible crackling

The new patch seems to produce less console output of
"err:dsound:DSOUND_PhaseCancel length not a multiple of block size"
than the old patch and "len" seems to be of shorter size.

I have counterchecked with the unpatched wine-0.9 and it is almost the
same performance as with the 'new' patch, only that the Blizzard Intro
runs flawlessly all the time, no matter what setting I choose for
HardwareAcceleration.

Hope this helps.

--
Juergen Wieczorek