IE6 setup requires a registered inseng.dll

James Hawkins truiken at gmail.com
Thu Nov 3 18:34:10 CST 2005

Hey,

I tried to install IE6 with some success.  I used a native advpack.dll
because wine's advpack isn't complete enough yet.  The install bails
out with the following errors on the command line:

err:ole:CoGetClassObject class {6e449686-c509-11cf-aafa-00aa00b6015c}
not registered
err:ole:create_server class {6e449686-c509-11cf-aafa-00aa00b6015c} not
registered
fixme:ole:CoCreateInstance no classfactory created for CLSID
{6e449686-c509-11cf-aafa-00aa00b6015c}, hres is 0x80040150

I looked up the UID and it belongs to inseng.dll, which is extracted
to the temporary install directory.  On windows, inseng.dll is already
registered by the time you run the installer, but is not registered on
wine.  Running regsvr32 inseng.dll solves the problem, and the install
succeeds, but that is just a workaround.  One solution is to add the
registration to wine.inf.  The other option is to add a skeleton
inseng.dll with the DllRegister function implemented.  I find the
second solution most appealing, because it provides more incentive to
implement that dll.  What solution would be most acceptable?

--
James Hawkins