killing wine dregs

wino at piments.com wino at piments.com
Sat Nov 5 15:17:59 CST 2005

On Tue, 01 Nov 2005 11:50:17 +0100, Francois Gouget <fgouget at free.fr>
wrote:

> On Mon, 31 Oct 2005, wino at piments.com wrote:
> [...]
>> I find killing it by hand labourious so I used the following command to
>> clean up and have now defined it as an alias to make life easier.
>>
>> pgrep wine|while read p; do kill -9 $p ; done;
>
> You should try out pkill to simplify it even further.
>
> [...]
>> in fact it seems even  cant clean up some times.
>
> Besides the zombie processes mentionned before, some processes may be
> stopped (e.g. by the debugger) and won't die until you send them a CONT
> signal.

Thanks for all the replies, wineserver -k usually works but I still get
some processes I cant kill:

15015 pts/5    Tl     0:01 /usr/bin/wine-preloader /usr/bin/wine-pthread
natspeak

kill -9 15015
kill -9 15015
kill -9 15015

  is not able to kill this.

closing the xterm did in this case lay it to rest.

Thanks again.