winedbg and ddd/kdbg problem...

Boaz Harrosh wine at electrozaur.com
Sun Nov 6 10:44:23 CST 2005

Eric Pouech wrote:

> that didn't change. This would require gdb to know about .pdb, which
> it doesn't. in the long run, it may be easier to get windbg handle
> properly elf/{stabs|dwarf} information, rather than the other way around.
> A+

 From passed experience, I have found that for Winelib, or Plain Wine
debugging, I get the same results with Plain gdb. Or in my case
KDevelop. (No need for Winedbg at all)

For GUI .pdb debugging I have made some attempts to run Winedbg directly
under KDevelop. As KDevelop Just pushes commands into gdb's stdin and in
return parses stdout, With some relaxing of the parser code, I was able
to get the stack frame and disassembly windows. This is do to the fact
that Winedbg tries to keep the commands the same as gdb, and the output
used to be similar as well. The more advanced stuff like setting
breakpoints and watch variables failed miserably. But I was able to do
those on the command prompt KDevelop provides as low level interface to
"gdb". I was on my way to go in deeper and fix the C++ source debugging.
Again by making the parser relax on the Winedbg output formating, but
the Project canceled, and I never got to it. Since than Winedbg was
completely changed, and I never attempted the same thing again.

Free Life
Boaz