WINE Regression due to patch 18110: Font size issues in MS Word dropdowns

Tony Lambregts tony.lambregts at gmail.com
Sun Nov 6 19:01:18 CST 2005

Robert Shearman wrote:
> Arren Lex wrote:
>
>> This is a NON-FATAL, merely cosmetic regression. The application in
>> question still functions.
>>
>> I have just finished regression testing WINE according to these
>> instructions:
>> http://www.winehq.com/site/docs/winedev-guide/x1344
>>
>> In Microsoft Word 2000, in WINE prior to Monday, June 13, 2005,
>> 05:01:32 CDT, when you moved your mouse over the dropdown boxes in the
>> standard toolbar which allow you to select font size, font face, etc.
>> the boxes become embossed like they're supposed to. However, after
>> patch 18110 was applied, all that happens when you mouse over these
>> boxes is that the text suddenly gains several sizes and cuts off at
>> the first letter, makes the box either inconvenient or entirely
>> unusable. The patch that caused this problem is the following:
>> http://cvs.winehq.org/patch.py?id=18110
>>
>> An image illustrating this process is below:
>> http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v11/arrenlex/wineexamples.png
>>
>> Is it possible to fix this annoying regression? Thank you for your time!
>

> It is not a regression. It is just that the builtin riched20 is being
> used instead of the native version. IIRC, Office should install its own
> version of riched20 that it should be using. The patch just fixed a
> problem that caused the classes used by the Rich Edit control to not be
> available to any apps.

That is where the problem lies. Wine is not useing the the dlls in the programs
directory by default anymore :-( This situation has "broken" a several
applications that I am aware of at the moment. (Lotus Notes, Sim City 3000) I am
not sure how many others have this problem but I would not be suprised that it
was quite a few.

I do not know which patch actually caused this change in behavior but IMO it is
wrong to ignore the dlls that are supplied by the application if there is one
that is supplied by wine.

I have been concentrateing my effforts for that last several months on the AppDB
and had not paid much attention to updating wine. Now that I have updated I have
  found several apps that now show regessions that I am now trying to track down
:-( This is only one of them.

--

Tony Lambregts