implementation of "bottle" feature to the future versions of the wine proper

Kai-Cheung Leung kcleung at arcor.de
Sun Nov 13 02:58:04 CST 2005

I have tried the Crossover office 5 and I found the bottle function really useful.

Basically, this function allows a user to simutaneously own/manage more than one fake Windows installations within an account and when he runs a program, then on the command line, he can specify which of the installations to use for that particular program.

This function is particularly useful when installing different applications which requires different Windows requirements.  For example, I cannot install M$ Office 97 in the fake Windows 2000 environment and therefore I have to create a separate fake Win98 installation for it.  Then I can create another Windows 2000 fake installation for my other modern programs.  This segregation allows my programs to run smoothly alongside.

What do you think about the feasibility for implementing the multi-fake-installation feature?  This would involve changing the wine binary and giving each fake installation its own configuration settings.

Kai-Cheung Leung

Machen Sie aus 14 Cent spielend bis zu 100 Euro!
Die neue Gaming-Area von Arcor - über 50 Onlinespiele im Angebot.
http://www.arcor.de/rd/emf-gaming-1