Brain Storming Regarding Winapt - Package Management for Windows

Shlomi Fish shlomif at gmail.com
Sun Nov 13 03:38:51 CST 2005

Hi good people!

I have an idea for a Windows-based open source project, that also has
a lot of commercial value. The idea is Winapt:

http://winapt.berlios.de/

Once finished, it will be an implementation of package management and
dependency resolution for Windows (similar to dpkg+apt, or
rpm+apt/urpmi/yum, etc.). On the site you can find an executive
summary, and the beginning of the design document.

I'd like to brain storm about this idea, and that people (after
reading the documents) tell me what issues and obstacles those who
desire in accopmlishing such a task will face, and suggest possible
solutions.

While I am an experienced programmer, I am not a very experienced
Windows systems programmer. I did do some programming for Windows, but
it was mostly GUI or MFC or simple things like opening files. (many
times using the POSIX primitives).

I am sending this message here because some of you guys are Win32 experts.

Regards,

           Shlomi Fish