New ati driver problems

Stefan Dösinger stefandoesinger at gmx.at
Sun Nov 13 15:46:46 CST 2005

Hello,

I've updated my fglrx driver yesterday, and I am seeing some weird problems
with Direct3D. I don't know if this is a driver bug or regression at all.

With battlefield 1942 and the old d3d8 engine, some in-game textures are
white[1] or completely missing[2].  The menu and the HUD work fine.

With Battlefield 1942 and the WineD3D patch there's no difference: The Menu
and the HUD display fine, but the game graphics are completely white[3].

In Warcraft III, some textures are missing(Old D3D8 and new WineD3D).

I don't know if this is a regression at all, the new fglrx version added some
new functionality, namely VBOs. Maybe some new functionality is used, and it
doesn't work correctly yet.

Is anyone experiancing similar issues?

All OpenGL games I've tried work fine, except of the Steam version of
half-life, where GDI fonts are missing on buttons and in the main menu(The
in-game graphics are fine). The new driver brought quite an performance
improvement in some games(gl117 is faster), some games feel faster, like
Warcraft III in OpenGL mode(I haven't checked the fps).

Stefan

Screenshots:
[1]: http://doesi.gmxhome.de/ScreenShot2.jpg
[2]: http://doesi.gmxhome.de/ScreenShot3.jpg