Question about ~/.wine/dosdevices/

Peter Berg Larsen pebl at math.ku.dk
Sun Nov 13 16:53:22 CST 2005

On Sun, 13 Nov 2005, Michael Druing wrote:

> If you don't want to install the game in wine but rather use an existing
> Windows installation you should either copy and/or link to your existing
> installation, but bear in mind that this might - as others have already
> pointed out - break your installation on windows for some reason or another
> and is generally not suggested.

Ah, ah. This is where I complete fail in my understanding. I had the idea
that wine was able to run any window program (modulo registry etc.) no
matter how I did the install. You are saing "do not run a windows program
unless you installed the program with wine"? (or atleast do not expect it
to work).

> Wine cannot guess where your existing windows partition is mounted.

I saw three solution for that:
A) It look at ~/.wine/c:/ and then in /mnt/windows/
B) Notices that the program started in a /mnt/windows/ path.
C) If installed under /mnt/windows/ you must manual make some extra links.

But neither wiki or the docs said anything about this, which was why I
asked.

Peter