cant install IE5.5 on 0.9.1

wino at piments.com wino at piments.com
Sun Nov 13 19:47:06 CST 2005

On Mon, 14 Nov 2005 01:35:43 +0100, Vitaliy Margolen
<wine-devel at kievinfo.com> wrote:

> Sunday, November 13, 2005, 5:10:38 PM, wino at piments.com wrote:
>> Hi,
>
>> trying to minimise the number of preinstall tools and scripts to run
>> stuff
>> on wine-0.9.1
> [skipped]
>> Is this fixable / worth persueing or should I just settle for advising
>> ppl
>> to use sidenet?
> Why would any one want to use it?

The principal reason at the moment is that it is the only way I can get
Dragon NS to install with anything more recent that 20050524!

Reason no.2 is that is sure as hell going to be bigger that ie5

Reaon no.3 is that MS get more dangerous and devious with every release. I
apply a crude rule that earlier is likely to mean less issues where MS is
concerned.

> Have you read app db entry for IE6? Apparently
> not. Please do.

Well, actually, yes. And the manual method seems to be basically what
sidenet does for me anyway(-DCOM98 install) just a lot more hassle.

I am trying to document an installation process for the appDB. I want to
tidy it up to be as minimal as possbile rather than say : do this do that
, select this or that option. etc.

If there are no better suggestions I will just stick with sidenet (without
IE6) then a manual IE5.5 , then turn off all the built-in ole stuff that
does not work then run the installer that fails to run again once it has
been run once. Doc it and leave it.

It does not make wine look too together but it will at least install and
run the software under a recent winecfg based wine.