usb driver proxy

Saulius Krasuckas saulius2 at ar.fi.lt
Mon Nov 14 07:23:12 CST 2005

* On Mon, 14 Nov 2005, Maris Paupe wrote:

> I have a USB device which doesn' t have a driver in linux, I wrote it as
> kernel module, but because I want to run windows software under wine
> which uses this device it seems that I will need to write something like
> proxy in wine (like audio and video drivers are written) to enable my
> software to use this device.

Forgive me my interest:
what type of data does this USB exchande with a PC?
What are real functions of this device?

> Right now I am planning to rewite this driver using libusb and implement
> everything in wine's proxy.

I understand the proxy-part, but how using libusb would help you?  Maybe
you are afraid of your LKM will never getting into public kernel tree?

> Maybe somebody have some dummy driver for purposes like this or I sould
> just take audio or some other driver and use it as starting point, maybe
> you have some useful suggestions to give me before I start?

Don't wanna be narcistic, but if you read "Interests about Wine" part on
the Wiki page about me (sorry) [*], you may find some messages in the
maillist archive from enthuasiasts, who probably already have started some
work. :-P

[*] http://wiki.winehq.org/SauliusKrasuckas