About stderr for usage messages

Vitaly Lipatov lav at etersoft.ru
Wed Nov 16 07:36:17 CST 2005

В сообщении от 14 Ноябрь 2005 21:56 Robert Shearman написал(a):
> Vitaly Lipatov wrote:
> >We are use stderr for print usage or info message in wine programs such as
> >eject
> >winedump
> >winebuild
> >wine main (dlls/kernel/process.c)
> >
> >It is broken behavior: info messages usually expected from stdout stream.
> >Will I do patch agaist it?
>
> Info messages are better using stderr, as you typically don't want to
> output it to a file. If you get it by accident then you will want to see
> it as it typically means you made a typo somewhere in the command you
> are trying to run.
If we run command with incorrect argument we have to get error message on
stderr not info message. If we run command with --help we have to get info
message on stdout. stderr is for error messages only not any info.
Imagine that we try to use
command --help | less
We will get blank screen if we use stderr for info output.

--
Vitaly Lipatov, ALT Linux Team
Russia, Saint-Petersburg, www.etersoft.ru