Drop the PFD_GENERIC_ACCELERATED flag?

Peter Beutner p.beutner at gmx.net
Wed Nov 16 08:21:29 CST 2005

At the moment wine always set the PFD_GENERIC_ACCELERATED flag in X11DRV_DescribePixelFormat.
SeriousSam uses this flag to determine if the pixelformat is hardware accelerated.
If the flag is set it is interpreted as _no_ hardware acceleration available.

Unfortunately  MSDN isn't really clear about what that flag really means:
it describes it as: "The pixel format is supported by a device driver that accelerates the
generic implementation."

After reading [1] I think it should be like that instead:
If PFD_GENERIC_ACCELERATED is set the pixelformat is partially accelerated
by the device driver and some parts are just software fallbacks.
If PFD_GENERIC_FORMAT is set everything is done in software.
And only if none of both is set it is fully accelerated in hardware.

Is there anything similiar in GLX(full vs. partial accelerated) so we could set that flag
according to that? Or, if not, can we just drop it? Imo it's better always off than always on.

Thanks
Peter

[1] http://www.microsoft.com/msj/archive/S2085.aspx