[Starcraft-installer] Files copy very slowly

Willie Sippel willie at zeitgeistmedia.net
Thu Nov 17 10:11:42 CST 2005

Am Donnerstag, 17. November 2005 10:12 schrieb Dustin Navea:
> When installing Starcraft, I noticed that since the last time I tried
> installing it (a couple of years ago), the file copy takes a long time.
>   Typically, Starcraft takes about 5-8 mins to install once the file
> copy has started on both a windows system, as well on on wine, but now
> it takes 15+ mins to install.  If someone could provide me with some
> possible debugmsg´s to try, I will file a bug and post a log there.

I've see similar behaviour with many installers. AFAIU, after a few minutes,
wineserver uses almost 100% CPU, starving other processes. Usually,
increasing the priority of wine (nice -1 is sufficient, during the
installation), and setting it back to "0" after a few seconds fixes this
problem for a few minutes and the installation gets faster. Then, the problem
appears again...

--
Willie Sippel

  ////////  |  Tritium Studios