Test framework RFC

Saulius Krasuckas saulius2 at ar.fi.lt
Thu Nov 17 13:38:51 CST 2005

* On Mon, 14 Nov 2005, Jakob Eriksson wrote:
> * Saulius Krasuckas wrote:
> > * On Mon, 14 Nov 2005, Jakob Eriksson wrote:
> > >
> > > The recommended thing to do is check for something that can hint of
> > > bad things to happen.
> >
> > (GetVersion() < 0x80000000) gives 0 both under Win98 SE and WinME.
> > Test crashes under Win98SE but it doesn't under WinME. I am sure, the
> > versions of crypt32.dll on both boxes are different.
>
> Proposal:
>
> Add a mechanism for detecting running a test several times.
>
> The first time serving the purpose of checking if the test crashes or
> not. If the test crashes, it is run again, but with an argument telling
> it that it crashed last time.

Nice shot. :)
But lets look further.

> This information is used to hint the test to avoid whatever it feels
> should be avoided.

Ok, and this way we check only one crash point.  My patches commented out
8 such points.  Maybe it's not a problem to rerun every test a dozen of
times, but where should we put information about every different crash?
Sounds like a small DB again. :-/

> > we should know not only the version of DLL, isNT value and tested
> > function name, but we should also see what parameters and what their
> > values can crash.  This would require a 5-dimensional array of
> > strings, I'd say.
> >
> > Would anynone here like to maintain such beast?
>
> I'm crazy enough, but probably has too little time. So no.

:-]
I wouldn't too.