make builtin dlls visible for applications?

Juan Lang juan_lang at yahoo.com
Thu Nov 17 19:05:03 CST 2005

> 2) place dummy files for all builtin dlls in c:\windows\system32

I believe this is the correct approach.  I know of at least one
InstallShield installer (that uses MSI) that searches for IE by looking
for the file shdocvw.dll and checking its version.  Presumably we'd like
our users to have the option of installing programs using all builtin
DLLs, even with silly checks like this.

Eric once mentioned he had some hacky program that parsed PE headers that
we might be able to coerce into creating such dummy DLLs.  What we're
looking for (besides him posting the code) is a volunteer to work on it.

> hmm I guess you would get into trouble if you use WINEDLLOVERRIDE.
> Wouldn't LoadLibrary try to load those dummy files?

Someone proposed a hack where the loader would know that these DLLs are
dummies based on a wine-specific flag in the header.

--Juan