What would most aid WINE development?

Tom Wickline twickline at gmail.com
Fri Nov 18 00:57:32 CST 2005

On 11/17/05, Susheel Daswani <sdaswani at boalthall.berkeley.edu> wrote:

> I plan to use your answers for no other purpose than educating my
> professor on what, alas, *could* have been done to help restore
> competition to the personal desktop OS market.

Hello,

The only real remedy to the Microsoft Monopoly would be if Federal,
State, Provinces & Local Governments of this planet to mandate the use
of true OSS software.
There is a small movement in Massachusetts to move to OpenDoc but im
afraid Microsoft
has already used it influence in this matter.

Please see : http://www.consortiuminfo.org/newsblog/blog.php?ID=1745

There is however hope that millions may be given the chance to see
what a world looks like without being beholden to the BORG! I'm sure
Bill & company have some grand ideas on how they can derail this train
as well, but it looks bright at the moment. :-)

Watch the Webcast here : http://laptop.media.mit.edu/news.html

The short answer of how to restore the competition to the personal
desktop OS market is
for the people of this country to elect a real president, a visionary
like Theodore Roosevelt.

In 1906, at the behest (promise) of Roosevelt, the Justice Department
filed suit, charging that Standard engaged in monopoly practices by
attempting to control trading and commerce in petroleum and its
by-products, thus setting the stage for the first titanic battle
between government and big business.

A decision was handed down against the company by a Missouri circuit
court in 1909. Shades of Microsoft and Bill Gates, John D. Rockefeller
himself testified in a "well-rehearsed performance but to no avail."
[Charles Geisst]. The court ordered the breakup of the trust. Standard
immediately appealed to the Supreme Court but lost.

http://www.buyandhold.com/bh/en/education/history/2000/standard_oil2.html

Tom