What would most aid WINE development?

Scott Ritchie scott at open-vote.org
Sat Nov 19 03:02:37 CST 2005

On Fri, 2005-11-18 at 15:19 -0800, Daniel Kegel wrote:
> Here are a few things a judge could order Microsoft to do that would help Wine:
> * order them to break up into two companies, one for operating systems and .net, one for everything else
> * donate gobs of cash to Wine
> * offer a perpetual, transferrable, royalty-free, GPL-compatible license for its protocols and data formats
> * support ODF in Microsoft Office
>
> That last item is kind of indirect.  It would make it much easier for
> everybody to switch to OpenOffice, which would make it much easier
> for everybody to switch to Linux, which is the whole point of Wine.

Actually, this reminds me of something that would be very useful: free
up the Microsoft fonts.  A few apps (notably Steam) don't work without
either using the Microsoft font directly or drafting a lookalike from
scratch.  Using free fonts is probably related to the opendocument
standard as well.

Thanks,
Scott Ritchie