Should the AppDB make public the number of unique page views each app gets?

Scott Ritchie scott at open-vote.org
Sat Nov 19 15:39:19 CST 2005

This was an idea we discussed in IRC for a short bit, and I think it
would be good to bring it up here.

Essentially, if the AppDB displayed the number of page views each app
got it would go a long way towards estimating the demand for particular
applications, whether they work or not.  It seems fair to say that
someone looking an app up in the AppDB either wants to run it in Wine or
wants to know if it's doable should he switch to Wine.

Coincidentally, this also helps solve the voting problem - since votes
for gold apps are supposed to be replaced with votes for apps that work
should be done on, we now have a mechanism to sort the Gold list other
than by votes.  Sorting the gold list by page views would also greatly
help navigation from the front page of the AppDB, as it would place the
most popular applications at the top.

Then again, maybe there's something I've overlooked.

Thoughts?
-Scott Ritchie