Fwd: Re: Fwd: MBR was destroyed

wino at piments.com wino at piments.com
Sun Nov 20 18:08:02 CST 2005

On Sun, 20 Nov 2005 22:30:33 +0100, Mike Hearn <mike at plan99.net> wrote:

> On Sun, 20 Nov 2005 19:45:51 +0100, Jonathan Ernst wrote:
>> If you are not part of the disk group and you are not running as root,
>> this cannot happen. There might be a bug in Wine, but the most important
>> error is people having incorrect rights set or having too much rights.
>
> The most important error is that somehow Wine is blasting peoples master
> boot records! How can *ANYTHING* be more important than that?!
>
> I have no clue how such a bug could have appeared but tracking it down
> and
> fixing it must be a priority.

Ah, at last , the voice of reason. Thanks Mike.

I read some comment that this happens on hitting autodetect in winecfg.
Would not have thought it was too hard to find.

I still think the doc needs something in big red letters about groups and
permissions.

There should probably be some safety checks built in that stop it running
as root ,etc. that can only be turned off in a way that proves you know
what you are doing.

If wine is putting itself forward as a migration aid the first thing your
average windows afficionado is going to do come steaming in , click ,
click ,click ; ignore any messages that come up as they have been trained
to do on M$ systems and import a bunch of badly behaved software and
acompanying viruses.

Next thing we know people will be saying Linux is no more stable that
windows.