What would most aid WINE development?

n0dalus n0dalus+wine at gmail.com
Mon Nov 21 01:37:45 CST 2005

On 11/21/05, Michael Jung <mjung at iss.tu-darmstadt.de> wrote:

> I think it's kind of ironic that the finding of facts states that it's not
> possible for technical or economical reasons to clone the Windows API, a
> statment which in my opinion Wine clearly proves wrong, while not mentioning
> the legal barriers.

I think from an economical perspective a project like wine is only
possible because it's open source, and there are always developers
coming out of the woodwork to send in a patch or offer a hand. If
people using wine didn't have access to the source they wouldn't be
able to do their own investigations into why a certain piece of
software isn't working, and this would leave it up to the developers
(who may not have access to the software) to do their own testing.
Also I think people don't mind running alpha or beta software if it's
free, but a company trying to sell it would have trouble getting
enough customers to fund itself.

Just my two cents...

n0dalus.