KERNEL: parsing /proc/scsi/scsi

Michael Druing michael at drueing.de
Mon Nov 21 16:19:19 CST 2005

Hi,

> $ cat /proc/scsi/scsi
> | Attached devices:
> | Host: scsi0 Channel: 00 Id: 00 Lun: 00
> |   Vendor: PLEXTOR  Model: DVDR   PX-712A   Rev: 1.04
> |   Type:   CD-ROM                           ANSI SCSI
> revision: ffffffff

Looks like a hardware problem to me. Bad cables, bad terminator, too long
cables, interference,...
SCSI is very sensitive so you might want to re-arrange drives on the cable
or try a different terminator.
It might even be enough to unplug and re-connect every SCSI device in the
system.

> where parser treats last number as a decimal one, while it is in
> hexadecimal format.

Right now there's only ANSI SCSI 01, 02 and 03 defined (AFAIK) so other
values shouldn't happen...

> I would appreaciate explanation, why dmesg and /proc/scsi/scsi writer
> behaves in slightly different ways.

--Michael