Fwd: Re: MBR was destroyed

wino at piments.com wino at piments.com
Tue Nov 22 13:53:29 CST 2005

On Tue, 22 Nov 2005 12:30:02 +0100, Saulius Krasuckas <saulius2 at ar.fi.lt>
wrote:

> Seorge, can you explain, how did you exactly restored MBR using GRUB,
> please?
>
>> fiddle with wine, one step at a time , running the following check at
>> each step, keeping notes on what is done each time.
>>
>> dd if=/dev/hda of=/boot/hda.wine1.mbr bs=512 count=1
>> diff /tmp/*0.mbr /tmp/*1.mbr
oops , the first line should of course be :

dd if=/dev/hda of=/tmp/hda.wine1.mbr bs=512 count=1

> BTW, I think only the text files should be diffed (and -u flag makes
> output very understandable for me):

diff will just say the files differ if run on the binaries. That's enough
here.

> But comparing hexadecimal dumps should be the only and the final step, as
> it says not only whether sectors are different, but also how much they
> differ.  Which isn't interesting at start of hunting.

as you rightly say.

>> The main thing is to establish exactly what you did, it may not be quite
>
>> where you thought and it will make finding the offending code a lot
>> quicker if it is precisely linked to one event.

> It would be interesting to know, whether latest CVS helps, as Alexandre
> has put some fixes in regarding this issue, I guess:

One step at a time !

I'd like to see the original poster post what he really did. The little
snippets given so far are little help.

It seems he is using something like kde, clicking on a .exe , and that
wine was completely unconfigured at this stage.

Again "I used grub boot disk" does not help us know where grub is
installed.

Maybe someone else who has been able to reproduce this needs to post
details.