[wined3d] Converting Wined3d to use WGL instead of GLX

Aric Cyr Aric.Cyr at gmail.com
Thu Nov 24 19:42:14 CST 2005

Hi all,

A while back I had started to work on, and mostly completed, converting wined3d
to using WGL instead of directly accessing glX functions.  That was a few months
ago, and it was a pretty big change, but not too difficult as WGL and GLX are
very similar.

However, my patch is now greatly out of date thanks to the excellent work
progressing in wined3d.  I was just interested in getting some feedback on
whether anyone thinks this is something worth me continuing to pursue, or just
drop it?

As I see it, there are a few merits to having wined3d on wgl instead of glx.
The biggest one being that all the glX code won't be duplicated in multiple
places as it is now (dlls/opengl32 and dlls/wined3d).  Along with that comes
maintainability and consistency as all glX code would only exist in one place
and would be shared by all, applications and wined3d alike. Work-arounds for the
various glX revisions (recently discussed glx 1.2, 1.3, etc) would also be
localized to a single dll.

Of course, on the down side, we take a hit of one extra layer of indirection by
going through WGL.  However as WGL/glX functions are rarely called, this should
be a minimal of a performance hit.

All in all I think it would be worth while, but I'd still like to hear from
others so as not to waste (a lot!) of my time.

Regards,
  Aric