[wined3d] Converting Wined3d to use WGL instead of GLX

Oliver Stieber oliver_stieber at yahoo.co.uk
Fri Nov 25 06:02:18 CST 2005

--- Aric Cyr <Aric.Cyr at gmail.com> wrote:

> Hi all,
>
> A while back I had started to work on, and mostly completed, converting wined3d
> to using WGL instead of directly accessing glX functions.  That was a few months
> ago, and it was a pretty big change, but not too difficult as WGL and GLX are
> very similar.
>
> However, my patch is now greatly out of date thanks to the excellent work
> progressing in wined3d.  I was just interested in getting some feedback on
> whether anyone thinks this is something worth me continuing to pursue, or just
> drop it?

> As I see it, there are a few merits to having wined3d on wgl instead of glx.
> The biggest one being that all the glX code won't be duplicated in multiple
> places as it is now (dlls/opengl32 and dlls/wined3d).  Along with that comes
> maintainability and consistency as all glX code would only exist in one place
> and would be shared by all, applications and wined3d alike. Work-arounds for the
> various glX revisions (recently discussed glx 1.2, 1.3, etc) would also be
> localized to a single dll.
>
> Of course, on the down side, we take a hit of one extra layer of indirection by
> going through WGL.  However as WGL/glX functions are rarely called, this should
> be a minimal of a performance hit.
>
> All in all I think it would be worth while, but I'd still like to hear from
> others so as not to waste (a lot!) of my time.

If wines WGL implementation is fully implemented then it may be a good idea switching to wgl, a
wgl implemenatation would also make debugging much easier because wined3d can be run under windows
to isolate problems.

Nick Burns also started work on a wgl version of wined3d that I haven't got around to fully
merging yet, I can send you the patch.

Oliver.